Homeowners need permits for some of the following items:

  • Building an addition
  • Making home improvements and/or remodeling
  • Making property improvements and/or remodeling
  • Repairing units that connect to City water lines and/or gas lines
  • Having a yard sale
The homeowner and/or a licensed contractor must apply for a building permit. Work that is started without a permit can result in extra charges and fines levied against you. If you have questions regarding this process or your application, please contact City Hall Customer Service Technicians at (623) 936-7111.
Applications/Links Description
Building Construction Fees: Link to a table Any improvement upon private property or within public rights-of-way within the City of Tolleson is subject to the issuance of a permit upon plan review and approval, and the payment of the applicable fee(s). Permit fees are based upon the cost of construction. Building construction costs are based upon usage group and type of construction as defined by the IBC. All other improvement costs, excluding the building, are based upon documented construction charges, or an approved cost estimate which is prepared, signed and sealed by the applicable professional registrant. These non-building improvement costs include, but are not limited to grading and drainage improvements, paving, erosion control, wet utilities, landscape and irrigation, outdoor lighting, dry wells, fencing, signing and striping, and all other improvements to the land, other than the building(s) itself.
Construction Hydrant Application The City of Tolleson requires an application to submitted and approved prior to any work commencing on a City hydrant. 
Development Handbook This handbook details information regarding but not limited to Building Permits, Plan Review, Zoning Site Plan Review Re-Zoning, Variances and Diminution of Value Waiver. 
Inspection Process All construction work is subject to inspections.
Patio Application When submitting Patio Permit Application, please include this “framing detail” form.
Permit Application Permits are required for all new buildings, remodeling, additions to your home or business, and improvements to your property. The homeowner and/or a licensed contractor must apply for a building permit. Work that is started without a permit can result in extra charges and fines levied against you.
Permit Fees Permit fees are subject to change. Please confirm fees with the City Hall customer service technician's by calling City Hall at 623-936-7111.
Plans (No link) In addition to your permit, your improvements will also require plans. Your plans will help you see how your idea will fit in with the structure. You will be required to submit three (3) sets of plans. The plans must describe the project fully and clearly. Providing these plans will allow us to do a thorough review of the scope of work that you are planning on doing and will help ensure there are no code violations. Depending on your project, you may need some or all of the following: •Site Plan •Floor Plan •Building Elevations •Electrical Plans •Roof Framing Plan & Truss Calculations •Plumbing Plan with Schematics •Foundation Plan •Mechanical Plan. Please contact City Hall at 623-936-7111 for additional questions. 
Sample Bond Certificate ARS 42-5007 requires that building authorities obtain a certificate form the Arizona Department of Revenue to ensure that some type of bonding requirements is met prior to issuing any building permit. The type of bond varies depending on the cost of the project. This document will provide information regarding these requirements. *For questions regarding bonds and/or certifications contractors need to call the Arizona Department of Revenue at 602-716-6056 or 1-800-634-6494.
Swimming Pool/Spa and Enclosure Programs  Learn about guidelines for enclosures for swimming pool and/or spas. 
Utility Clearance Form - Required Prior to Demolition Before a structure is demolished or removed, the owner or agent shall notify all utilities having service connections within the structure such as water, electric, gas, sewer and other connections. A permit to demolish or remove a structure shall not be issued until a release is obtained from the utilities, stating that their respective service connections and appurtenant equipment, such as meters and regulators, have been removed or sealed and plugged in a safe manner.